Principal Librarian (Pasadena)
The City of Pasadena is seeking a Principal Librarian to direct, organize, and manage multiple activities and programs in the Department of Libraries and Information Services. This position will be primarily responsible for all aspects of the Public Services Division in the libraries as well as facilities management.
The current vacancy is in our Public Services Division of the Department of Libraries and Information Services.
The ideal candidate will be a technical expert in their field, preferably in the public sector. This person will possess strong supervisory and leadership abilities, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, analytical and problem-solving skills, takes initiative, and possesses boundless energy, as well as a strong work ethic.
The major responsibilities of this position are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the job description.
- Assesses community needs, popular interests, and social trends through direct and anecdotal methods; stays politically attuned with cultural and socio-economic diversity through observations, communication with patrons, staff and community groups;
- Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, programs, and work standards for one of three Library service areas;
- Directs the preparation and administration of the service area's budget;
- Plans, organizes, administers, reviews and evaluates the work of professional, technical and support staff;
- Makes recommendations for and approves selection of staff; provides for their training and professional development;
- Plans, studies, and analyzes library systems and makes recommendations for programs and improvements;
- Determines collection needs of a library service area;
- Ensures that the library services provided fulfill the needs and interests of the community;
- Represents the Library in meetings and makes presentations to the public, citizens groups and other organizations;
- Develops an understanding of interrelationships between library services and the services of other city departments;
- Fosters awareness of library services;
- Serves on various library, city and community committees, and collaborates with library management staff in assessing service needs;
- Understands and responds to facility needs;
- Articulates the mission and goals of entire library; can develop and present overall aim and goal of library services; can fairly represent each service area and weigh overall public benefit in decision-making; and
- Acts as Director in the absence of the Director of Library and Information Services.